Sponsors.

http://www.emailcashpro.com

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wine-Infused Orange


Here's a little dessert I managed to assemble from a couple of different stuff I had in the fridge: Wine-infused orange with mango and pistachio, served with ice-cream.

I was inspired by my aunt's brandy-infused orange and I thought I'd test out with white wine since I didn't have anything else in the fridge. The syrup does not taste as good as the brandy version, but the orange does go quite nicely once it absorbs the wine flavour.

Wine-infused Orange:
1. Skin an orange with a knife and slice horizontally, discarding the top most and bottom most slices after squeezing out the juice. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off a thin layer of the orange skin, avoiding the fibre inside.
2. Heat a pan and place the orange peel in to warm, just to release some of the oils on the skin, then add water in and dissolve sugar to create a syrup. Take out the orange peel to avoid over-cooking it.
3.Add in white wine and simmer to boil off some of the alcohol. Leave it aside to cool.
4. Lay orange slices in a bowl or flat-base container and pour wine mixture in, and leave to chill overnight.

Serve:
Dice some mango into small cubes, and add crushed pistachios and mix.
Place orange, add some mango, and top with another slice of orange.
Finally top with a scoop of ice-cream and sprinkle some more pistachio.
Spoon some of the wine mixture over and serve.

Taste:
Confession to make. I cheated and used MacDonald's' McFlurry to top it off. I'd rather have plain vanilla to go with the orange and pistachios, and not let the Oreo get in the way.
I did not chill the orange overnight so it didn't quite absorb all the flavour of the wine.
I quite enjoyed the mango and pistachio mix, and I believe some chopped mint leaves would greatly improve the taste of this.
Maybe adding some aromatic herbs to cook into the wine syrup will add even more depth.

Well, not much of a success, but I'll be back to work on this.